The motto of Providence OPC is “…everything necessary for life and godliness…” Our motto is from II Peter 1:3, which says, “By His divine power, God has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.” Two verses later, the Apostle Peter says to make every effort to add to our faith seven things, including knowledge. In response to Peter’s instruction, the following books are recommended. May these resources serve to increase our “knowledge of him who has called us by his own glory and goodness.”
- Competent to Counsel: Introduction to Nouthetic Counseling by Jay E. Adams
- The Reformed Pastor by Richard Baxter
- Puritan Evangelism: A Biblical Approach by Joel R. Beeke
- Whatever Happened to the Gospel of Grace by James Montgomery Boice
- Sermons on the Beatitudes by John Calvin
- Devoted to God by Sinclair B. Ferguson
- The Whole Christ by Sinclair B. Ferguson
- Of Domestical Duties (1622) by William Gouge
- Saved By Grace by Anthony A. Hoekema
- Antinomianism: Reformed Theology’s Unwelcome Guest? by Mark Jones
- Knowing Christ by Mark Jones
- Christianity and Liberalism by J. Gresham Machen
- The Day of Worship by Ryan McGraw
- Christian Baptism by John Murray
- Redemption: Accomplished and Applied by John Murray
- Knowing God by J.I. Packer
- The Lord’s Day by Joseph A. Pipa
- The Christ of the Covenants by O. Palmer Robertson
- Holiness by J.C. Ryle
- The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul
- The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented by Steele, Thomas, & Quinn
- Biblical Theology by Geerhardus Vos
- After Darkness, Light: Distinctives of Reformed Theology: Essays in Honor of R.C. Sproul
- Give Praise to God: A Vision for Reforming Worship edited by Ryken, Thomas, & Duncan
- Westminster Confession of Faith
- Westminster Larger Catechism
- Westminster Shorter Catechism
- OPC Book of Church Order
- Orthodox Presbyterian Church
- Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary
- Reformation Heritage Books
- Ligonier Ministries
Bible Study Tools
Many Bible and Reformed document research tools are available online and free of charge, including:
- For a Daily Reading Bible (select from multiple translations): www.oneyearbibleonline.com/index.html?version=51&startmmdd=0101
- For scripture passage lookup, keyword searches, topical indexes and other related Bible research tools: www.biblegateway.com/passage/.
- For Bible commentaries, encyclopedias, dictionaries, parallel Bibles, and interlinear Bibles: www.biblestudytools.com/.
- For Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible: Click here
- For classical, biblical works: www.ccel.org/.
- For Calvin’s Commentaries on books of the Bible: www.ccel.org/ccel/calvin/commentaries.i.html.
- For Matthew Henry’s Commentaries on the books of the Bible: www.ccel.org/ccel/henry/mhc.i.html
- For the Center for Reformed Theology and Apologetics (CRTA): www.reformed.org/index.html.
- For historic documents of the church, including creeds and confessions: www.reformed.org/documents/index.html.
- For old and new Reformed books and articles: www.banneroftruth.org/pages/home.php.
- For a variety of resources, including book reviews, a searchable Bible, OPC sermons, and OPC publications: www.opc.org